Friday, December 23, 2005

December 23, 2005

My first friend left today. I got up at like 11 to head over to Michelle's to take her to the airport and help her with her bags. Carrie was leaving for China for a few days as well today. Wesley also came to help with bags and moral support so the four of us trotted off from Katsutadai together. We had a fun time together. We had a good time laughing and joking and talking. I was so excited for Michelle to be at the airport and going home. I kept picturing her getting in to the airport in Edmonton and seeing family and friends there and breathing a deep sigh as she sees familiar things in English. I'm excited for her. Makes me excited for my time in March and it makes me appreciate my time with those remaining here more.

We spent more time waiting in the airport than we were intending. Michelle had some drama with her ticket. She was at the counter for ever so Wes, Carrie and I made bets as to what the reason was...not that she knows that. Shhh, it's a secret. The three possibilities were 1) she forgot her passport (she's done it before) 2) her baggage was too big so there was issues with paying for it or something along those lines or 3) there was a problem with her ticket cause it was electronic and she didn't actually have a reservation and there were no seats. We discounted the passport possibility because she needed it to even get in the airport from the train station, so that wasn't it. Unfortunately, Carrie and I won and Wes owed us 50 yen each (we each bet a hundred yen so Carrie and I have to split our spoils). I guess there was some drama over whether she had paid for the ticket or not. It was a return ticket that she had already used one leg of, so obviously she had been let on the plane coming to Japan, otherwise she wouldn't be standing in front of them. They wanted her to pay for the ticket again. She wasn't having any of that. They eventually agreed on man yen (10,000 yen = about a hundred bucks). It was surprising cause it was JAL that she was flying with and usually they're pretty good. We left her in good spirits and all was well in the end.

I'm really tired from last night. And I'm really tired of feeling nauseous. I need to get a good night's sleep cause the next three days are busy, but I've managed to mess up my neck so my whole days are spent in pain and frustration. I'll have to get out to the acupuncturist this week, maybe Tuesday will work to get things re-adjusted. It's another one of those times when I'm reminded of the power of the psyche over our physical well being. My mind is in turmoil and my body seems to be manifesting in many ways like fatigue, headaches and nausea.