Friday, April 28, 2006

April 28, 2006

I got out of camp today. I got out on the Skookum with this cool kid, Brian, at 8:30. It was a good ride. Long, but good. We talked a tonne and I have had a few epiphanies as a result of our conversations through the boat ride, the car ride, the ferry ride. Nothing that I'm going to share here though.

I'm on the ferry over to Nanaimo and I'm looking out over the ocean towards the island and it looks like there's this green haze, a green fog that is sitting on top of the ocean just before the island and then the mountains from the island rise up above it. It's really weird. It reminds me of the Simpson's episode with the toxic fog that turns their skin inside out. Wow, I can see Baker too to the South. The islands closest to the ferry are moving at a different rate than the skyline of downtown Vancouver, and it's at a different rate than Baker. It feels like one of those puppet show backgrounds where pictures of one depth of field are moving independent of those in front or behind it. Man, it's stunning. How can anyone not live here. It's rising up from behind the city of Vancouver with all it's high rises which is peeking out from behind a small rock island with a few "hut" houses on it. Now this is the place to be. This is where your heart arises to say, "Anything that could make something so beautiful and wild has got to be a good entity". The water is perfectly calm clear across the Straight. It looks kinda eerie. Like a poster from the movie "Dead Calm" or something.

It's been a good day. When I get in, we're all supposed to go for dinner. The fam time dinner, I guess.