Friday, April 14, 2006

April 14, 2006

Today we slept in. When we got up I made some breakfast while she was in the shower and then we ate and talked lots, or rather, I talked lots. She went off to work for noon and I bummed around and showered and cleaned the kitchen till a friend from Japan came and got me at like 2:30. It was odd seeing him outside of Japan. We went for lunch at this ale house on 74th that was uber cool. We talked about stuff and had a great walk there and back. After lunch we bummed around the neighbourhood and his old stomping grounds. Then we hit Home Depot to buy some plants and seeds for my wonderful host. He dropped me off to meet her at the coffee shop and we cleaned up so that we could go to church with her co-worker who happens to be a leader with the friends I was with last night. Small YL world that it is. Church kinda got to me. The first piece of music was a chamber type piece, all vocal. The harmonies were unbelievable. Makes me want to get into a chamber choir when I get back to Victoria. It was all just really beautiful and it all just made me sad. After church, we headed off in search for some grub. We went into Fremont for some fab Thai food at KwonJai's. We were talking about differences in cultures. I feel like I'm not able to accurately describe things or talk about how people think differently. I see the confusion that many people have when I describe things in a Japanese frame of mind. I definitely felt like I wasn't being understood, mostly because I just can't get my thoughts across. Then we went for a pint and stayed and talked but it was loud, so we headed home.