Monday, May 23, 2005

May 23, 2005

I totally bagged on a class today. I have this aweful group of 14-16 year olds who all know sooo much more than I do, no really, they are evidently privy to the thoughts of God because I am just a lowly subservient creature to their splendid existences. We decided to play prepositional Uno for an entire one-hour class. Or rather they decided, and I just didn't care. Maybe it had something to do with the lack of sleep over the past week (which my activities this weekend only added to as opposed to help), maybe they've just broken my spirit, maybe I just wasn't in the mood for a power struggle. I realize that's exactly what is going on in that class. They are just trying to assert their power, cute little teenagers that they are..oh, how that would git their goat if they knew I said that. And so my own need to maintain power of them rears its head! To back track, prepositional Uno has very little educational benefit. There's some, but little. We play Uno as usual (and by usual I mean, by Japanese rules which are a little different than what I'm used to) only the cards are home made and they have to match animals (like colours or suits) or the placement of said animal (like the numbers). They are actually quite fabulous. They have these little pictures on them that someone has obviously done with MS Paint. The cards are divided into Cat, Fish, Rabbit and Spider. Then the prepositional phrases on the bottom are like: is behind the lamp; is on the table, is under the chair; is in the toilet; is beside the car; is behind the lamp. The 'is in the toilet' and 'is behind the lamp' are my favourite. The toilet is pretty obviously funny, but it's the pictures that are the best, the fish is standing head first in the toilet with it's tail sticking up in the air, the cat is actually sitting in the toilet and the expression on the cat's face is priceless. I also like the lamp ones, again because of the pictures. You can barely see the animals because they are eclipsed by the lamp, you just sort of see their butts hanging out the sides. The cat is behind the lamp, looks remarkably like Skid Mark would if she sat behind a lamp.