Tuesday, May 17, 2005

May 17, 2005

I went in to the acupuncturist today. He's pretty cool. He speaks pretty good English. He starts with these electrified suction cups that I've had used on me before in the physiotherapist's office (or if you're in the States, the physical therapist's). Then he massages all the tight areas, which on me are plentiful. I totally carry my stress in my shoulders, so they're a mess. Then he gets these tiny little thin needles and pokes them all around your body. Some of them I didn't even feel, others I could kind of feel, then he would twist them around and then I could feel the muscles reacting to it and then they hurt. The hurt totally doesn't last long, and like I said, most of them I could barely even feel. Then he leaves the odd one in and puts on more suction cups. Then you're done. He uses his English speaking patients as practice for his language skills and in return he doesn't charge us for treatment. Good deal for me, man!!

Then I went in to Tsudanuma to go shopping. I found another Tower Records so I went in to check things out. I spent over an hour just listening to new stuff. Some of it is no good, but there was some interesting things coming out of the States and Australia that they get here. I haven't worked my way up to listening to some J-Pop. I just can't do it yet. The thing is that so much pop culture here is pretty cheesy, they do have their really cool moments though, but the cool moments seem to never be in regards to music. Or at least none of the main stream stuff that would be sold in a mall retail store. It's like everyone here is trying too hard to be American when it comes to making music. Think Brittany Spears, then make her really cheesy and fake. I hope you're recognizing the tongue in cheek sarcasm in that statement. Eventually I will get there, but for now the music affronting my ears in all public spaces is quite enough J-Pop for me.