Saturday, May 21, 2005

May 21, 2005

I had a really fast day today. I had planning to do for my 6 classes, then I got to school and saw that I had 2 more trial lessons posted at the end of my day. Pooey. It made for a long day. I was about to go to bed, but then my friend from down the street just called and told me I had to go for a drink with him and a couple of other teachers from my school that he knows. I was going to say no because I'm tired, but I haven't been sleeping and even though I'm tired, I'm not sleepy, and I just sort of thought I should take the opportunity for some English interaction. So I said yes and now I'm heading out the door to catch the next train.

Written later, like the day that is no longer considered Saturday:

So after a stupid day at work yesterday (today?), I headed to Tsudanuma to meet up with some friends for "just a quick drink". Yeah, about that. We met up at this little place that looks like it belongs more on some seedy beach in Mexico than in a major city centre. It's kind of put together ad hoc. Most of it is open air, and it's just kind of, yeah, Mexico. The tables are in lengths and just banged together pieces of plywood. It was quite fabulous. And to add to the charm it's a gaijin bar so it's evidently really "shady". Sort of the way a "Korean" hang out would be in Richmond. Oooo, that place is dangerous, it's where all the foreigners who aren't like us band together to create havoc on our perfect society. Quite fabulous. We decided to stay there for a while. Much discussion of world politics and the latest plot developments on "24" and "Lost" ensued, much to the chagrin of us ladies...I'm sorry but "24" is a man's soap opera. Then we went to play some darts at another local (and fully lame) bar. We then decided to grab a cab (the trains had long stopped running) to the bar just down the road from me. I was quite glad with the decision as it was back in my neighbourhood, and more importantly far away from the home of the incredibly annoying Minnesotian that we had managed to pick up with us back at the first "seedy establishment". Nice enough guy but his speech is seriously just a string of profanities. It was a bit much..and this is coming from ME!!! You know it had to be bad if it was too much swearing for Michelle's ears. I have a darn high tolerance for vulgar, expletive and offensive language, and this guy was too much for me. It's not even that I was offended, more annoyed than anything. It was really just the one word in it's many forms over and over again. I mean, is there no other words in your vocabulary that you could possibly choose. If you most use incredibly profane language then at least be creative in your usage and word choice. I liken it to my little Kindie student, Yui, who only chooses to use the white crayon. He has some many possible colour choices and combinations, yet he sticks to the white crayon. Why stick to the one word when there is such a plethora of words you could use? And don't even get me started on derivational morphology where you can make up your own words that have possibly never been used before...