Saturday, November 5, 2005

November 5, 2005

Life is just messy right now. My flat is the messiest that I think it has ever been and for the longest. I'm looking forward to tomorrow to clean and maybe exercise and find people to chat with from home. The nice thing right now is that the weather is stunning. It's sunny and crisp and about 20 degrees during the day and perfectly lovely. I think I may have to find a sun beam to lie in tomorrow, for like all day, naked. Don't worry, it won't be in public. I love my giant sliding glass doors. Sure I hated them in the summer and usually try to block out all light with my shutters, but this time of year, as the West Coast is enveloped in its usual 9 month long drizzle and fog, I'm in sunniness.

I'm only going to feel worse tomorrow cause in my second to last class tonight I had my one private class that I actually enjoy, Makiko a totally rad 14 year old, and we were talking about food and that made me think of the chicken masala at Shanti, the Indian restaurant half-way between my place and Kita school. Of course, being the undisciplined glutton that I am, I went...and I ate Nan instead of rice. I'm a bad, bad girl and I really don't care. It's funny how now when I think of things that I just ate that are bad for me sitting in my tummy I'll sometimes get this anxious feeling that I need to puke. It borders on nausea for just a split second and then it's gone. Tomorrow I will have all that lovely, beautiful, sweet, soft and chewy Nan trying to make it's way out of my system. But dang it was good!! Best Indian food I think I've ever had. They're actually Nepalese, but it's still called Shanti Indian Restaurant, so close enough. There's a really nice kid who works there. It's his dad and two other men in the kitchen, some other family members and friends, and himself. He's only like 19 years old and they've only been in Japan for like 5 months. He seems like he's a pretty lonely kid. I've been to the restaurant a couple of times (tonight was my third time) and he always remembers my name. I see him on the street every now and again and he usually calls my name from the other side of the street. Last time I saw him I crossed over on my bike and was like "Hey, how ya doing?" and he's "Good, good. I'm on a break" "Oh, that's good" "Well, goodbye". Okay then, I thought we were going to have a conversation, but no, I guess not. He's a sweet kid.

Dental care in Japan is sadly lacking. As I told Marcus recently, Japan is full of people who would be beautiful but aren't. Lots of hot bodies, particularly the ladies but also the guys, and then they turn around a smile and there's teeth where there aren't supposed to be teeth and you're like "Damn, that ain't good". I am currently brushing my teeth and I find that the toothpaste, despite being "Aquafresh", is gritty. It is still Japanese Aquafresh. For a people who are so concerned with outward appearance of propriety, their teeth are far, far behind the rest of the "modernized world". They have cell phones with actual 8 gig hard-drives coming out next year, but they can't figure out these fandangled contraptions called braces.