Saturday, September 24, 2005

September 24, 2005

My kindie class was crazy again today. Rina decided to get on my back while I was sitting reading the story, I folded in half trying to get her off and then the others all joined on top. I actually was dog piled twice by the 4 year old guerilla task force today. And then in the middle of the dog pile I felt Rina's hands sneaking around my waist and she fully grabbed my boobs, like several times, and there was very little I could actually do about it as I was pinned, in half, by all four little monsters. They thought it was hilarious. I didn't like it so much.

There's another storm brewing. It's been raining all day. I find it humourous that as soon as it rains for more than 2 hours everybody starts calling for a Typhoon. Evidently there's a typhoon coming, it should hit maybe sometime tomorrow night. Maybe they'll be off on their timing and it will hit on Monday afternoon/evening and my last day of Monday classes (the Lord willing, it will be my last day of Monday classes) will be cancelled. I would give up my first born to have them cancelled and Mondays off from now on. Who am I kidding? I won't have a first born. We'll see if it's actually a typhoon though. Last time someone was all "ooo, it's a typhoon, it's a typhoon" it rained for about 5 hours and we all went home and that was it. Rain is not a typhoon. It's rain. And where I'm from, it can sometimes do it 24-7 for months on end.

On being illiterate
I have talked briefly before about the mind shift that happens when you realize that you are actually illiterate. It is a very odd way of thinking, but true. Once you realize that you are illiterate, it frees you from a lot of the frustration that comes from not knowing what is going on. To go to a grocery store with the pre-notion that you won't be able to buy anything with cooking instructions because you can't read them, makes for a much more enjoyable shopping experience of looking at the foods that you need to cook from scratch from your own cooking knowledge or ones with pictures and numbers. But every now and then, the illiteracy monster comes back to bite you on the butt. This afternoon I went to make this rice bowl in the microwave. I was proud of myself to figure out the instructions all right, they were really basic, and I thought that I was in the clear. I sat down at my desk to what I thought was a rice bowl with chicken and some "veggies", I use the term that refers to flakes of red peppers loosely, and thought, 'Hmmm, that smells a little odd. Almost fishy?' Here comes the illiteracy monster. Ow, my butt hurts. It wasn't chicken. Turns out they're clams. Microwaved clams on not good saffron rice. Oh, yum. Stupid writing system.