Sunday, October 23, 2005

October 23, 2005

I am in shock. The Canucks are first in their division, second in the Western Conference and as far as I can tell, up in the top 3 of the league, possibly second. I am in shock. It's still early in the season. So like a true Canuck fan I will say, it's early still, they'll mess up soon enough. We're a cynical bunch, but I figure we're actually happier that way as we're never really all that let down. They always rise to the standard to which I judge them, which is not very high. That said, I will stand behind them until the eminent demise of the NHL. It's like the unraveling of the entity that we know of as The United States, it's just a question of when. Everyone involved is too complacent and unwilling to acknowledge the short comings and blatant inadequacies at the very core of their being. Therefore, it will all unravel at some point because they don't want to deal the problems to which they have their eyes covered. I am in shock.

I had a lovely afternoon with a friend today. I met him after he got off work and we headed off for Harajuku. It is unlike any other place on the planet. That's all I have to say about that. I will try and explain at some later date when I go again, but for now it's indescribable and I won't do it justice. It should say something that I found almost all the bits I need for my Hallowe'en costume in the stores there. I found my skirt in a shop on the main Takeshita (tah-ke-shtah) Street (I'm not saying what I am yet until later this week when I have my Hallowe'en classes and I post pictures, I want to keep you in suspense). It was a drag queen shop. It was fabulous. We found many outfits that we really wanted to be able to pull off, or just have the money to buy. I had decided long ago that I need a cape. I found my cape, it's white with big white, iridescent sequins, floor length, right next to the Liberace-esque cape and "gown". It was just under 3 man, that's 30,000 yen (man is the word for ten thousand, they count differently here). That's about 300 US bucks. There was another full body pleather Trinity-esque outfit that I soooo wished I could have pulled off. It's sad that the only place I could find a skirt that fit me was in a drag shop where the clothes are meant for men. Even more sad is that I still looked at three quarters of the store and said, "This stuff won't fit me, it's too small". The Trinity-esque outfit was one of them. We want to go back again some day and go to Yoyogi Park on a Sunday. That's the big event of the area. Everyone goes and hangs out just being their "Alternative Sub-Culture" selves. I love Tokyo fashion. Only in Tokyo could you look normal walking down the street as Little Bo Peep on a Sunday afternoon. What other city in the world could you do that and not get stared at?