Saturday, October 22, 2005

October 22, 2005

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO NEN!!!!

The cold got really bad today. Thankfully one of my privates cancelled today, so I had a Kindie class, then a 3 hour break to do planning and projects for Hallowe'en, then another Kindie class, then a private with a fabulous 14 girl whom I love, then I found out that my adult class student also cancelled, so I got to leave. I got back to Kita just before 7 and I had thankfully packed my suit this morning so, despite my cold, I went for a swim. It felt really good, although a little uneasy. They're very serious about their leisure in this country. There's no free swim. It's all lengths, all in a lap pool, no fun colourful mats, no wave pool, no volleyball net. Very serious. Goggles and a swim cap are required. I got a lot of looks. My bathing suit isn't revealing, back home it's not that big of a deal. Most people have seen boobs at some point in their lives, at least on tv. Not so much here. I think it was a first for many, women included. Not that I care, heck, I walk around the change room nekked, it's just an odd feeling to be constantly aware of being watched by all as soon as you walk in a room. Must be what it's like for a black person in Victoria. My favourite still is the older generation when you sit next to them on the train and they didn't see you get on and then all of a sudden they look up and realize you're sitting next to them and they do a shocked double take. It always makes me laugh inside.