Thursday, February 9, 2006

February 9, 2006

Interesting talk with a fellow teacher today.  We were discussing it on the train platform and on the way home.

Most people don't help when someone falls or is passed out.  I was thinking about this the other day when I was hanging in the park in the dark.  What if someone konked me over the head?  I would be out there on the ground and no one would do anything about it.  It is not uncommon to see a person, although usually a man, sleeping in a corner somewhere.  Well dressed people, passed out drunk in public.  So if I were there, in the park, konked by someone, no one would do anything to see if I was okay.  It would be like, "Hey, look at the crazy, drunk, passed out, gaijin chick.  Those darn foreigners are so irresponsible" and I'd be dying from brain hemmoraging.  They  would pretend like they don't see.  If someone falls on the train, or the street, most people just keep their heads down.  It's important to pretend like you don't see the people around you, so no matter what the circumstances, you need to "not notice".  That's my take.