Monday, July 4, 2005

July 4, 2005

Happy Fourth of July to all my American friends.

I was video taped at work today. I had asked for the High School class not to be taped, thankfully they didn't. The kids just wear me down and I have been defeated. It's not that I don't care, it's that I just don't care! The other classes are going to be just fine. It's funny what I am concerned about when I'm taped. Another teacher was taped a couple of weeks ago and she was all concerned that she didn't make the kids put the crayons away so she even wrote a note about it. I was more concerned about the fact that I changed shirts for the High School kids class (so that they don't notice my boobs as much, sad that I have to change my clothes, but true) and then left on the shirt for my adult class. So the shirt change is what I'm most concerned about, what will Jason think about me? Will they think I'm vain? They would be right. I have never been more vain in my life as I am here in Japan. Maybe it's because everyone else (all the Japanese anyway) are completely obsessed with their looks, but I think it's mostly because I am acutely aware that at every moment that I'm out in public I'm being looked at. At my home I'm a slob still. And around some teachers that I'm close with I really don't care what I look like (as long as I look sexy!! Do you hear the irony??) Maybe this is why so many celebrities seem so self-absorbed and vain, because they are aware that they are constantly being watched and monitored for behaviour.