Monday, July 18, 2005

July 18, 2005

I think that I should give up completely on journaling anything of my thoughts and experiences. I mean, the point is to remember what I've done, to get thoughts out of my head so that they're clear and to process what I'm going through. I've gotten to the point now where every Monday is the same as every other Monday with slight variations. The greatest variation lately is how hot it is. That's really all that is taking all of my thoughts and energy (or at least mostly the heat). So instead I am going to do nothing but report on the weather each day because although it may be the same as every other day as well, it's what I am experiencing the most. It's much more exciting to say that it's hotter here than it is in Mozambique. At 1 am as I'm writing this it is currently 26 degrees with 84% humidity, it's supposed to feel about 35 degrees or so according to one site but another site says it feels more like 30 degrees, than to say that I just spent 1900 yen on two things of eggs (that's 20 eggs in all, they come in packs of 10), 2 apples, an orange, a bag of kiwis, about a dozen strawberries and two things of tofu. At home that'd run me probably just over 10 bucks or so, no? It's over 20 bucks with the exchange, and that isn't organic or anything fun, it's straight on sale crappy stuff from the big box store on the corner. Or maybe I should write about how the most exciting thing today is that I'm in the process of making a huge batch of potato salad (I'm cooking the eggs right now, hence the trip to the store, I needed eggs). It will be done tomorrow. I also made Rice Krispies, but I only have some corner pieces for myself as I gave most of it all as a Peace Offering to the minor god of "the keeper of current tv shows and a half bottle of Jack".

The other crazy thing about the environment is that the sun comes up at like 4:30 in the morning but you don't actually get a sunrise, it just sort of gets light really fast. Really fast. Normally it's like, oh yeah, the sun is coming up and then it gets light out a little later you feel like the day is starting closer to 6 or 7. Here, the sun comes up at 4:30 at it's light out by about 4:45, enough so that it feel like the day is starting immediately. And then the sun sets at like 7 pm. Forget this "light out until 10" stuff of back home. The party shuts down early around here.

I don't acutally mean the thing above about giving up on journaling, just in case you're either a weather fanatic and looking forward to the change, or thinking you'll stop visiting because that would be boring, don't read too much into my sarcasm.