Monday, July 25, 2005

July 25, 2005

I had a very humourous day in my "The Week's Worst Class". First, I must say that I have discovered one of the reasons why I hate "The Week's Worst Class". The dynamic among the students that are in that class is interesting. I had only the two girls in the class tonight. And then one of the boys was in the next class (he was just terribly late and joined the next class in his same level), and his presence completely KILLED that class, just the way it does to the previous class when he attends it.

My time with the girls was terribly humourous. We're in a unit about families so we were talking about percentages of divorce and marriage in America. So I asked them if they ever wanted to be married. This actually sparked a real conversation (such as it was in an Intro level) for the first time in this class. It was hilarious, and exhilarating, to listen to one of the girls try her hardest to put English words together in anyway that she could possibly could to get her point across. Real communication! Amazing. They think I'm too old and that I should be married. They are convinced I should have a boyfriend. They then decided that I should hook up with the new teacher who was observing my class (yes folks, they have the new teachers watching my classes as training...management is obviously insane). He's married and his wife has been working at our school for a few weeks now. The girls' response to this was "Are you deeply in love with each other?" What's up with that! I can't get her to say "Would you like to go to a movie?" but she can come up with "Are you deeply in love with each other?"

Oooo, tremor, after-shock. We've been having them since the big earthquake on Saturday.

Never mind. His, very appropriate, answer was "Yes, VERY much". Their answer to that was "No matter, no matter". Too funny. If they had their way in my life I would evidently be hooking up with other teachers left right and centre. (Do you hear that Brooklyn!! Tee hee, I'm funny.) Then we went into a time of discussion of one of the girl's love life as she just "separate from him", at which point I got the chance to teach them, "Yesterday, I broke up with my boyfriend". Yeah! A teaching point that they actually may remember.

Wow, more after-shocks. Wild that they're so close to each other. How distracting. Back to my story. Actually, I think that was pretty much it. They came up with some awesome sentences, often inspired by the dictionary, but heck, I'll take anything right now. So that was the best part of my really usually awful "The Week's Worst Class" this week. Maybe next week I'll teach them "Sparkle" in honour of all Main Street Girls every where.