Tuesday, June 7, 2005

June 7, 2005

I finished my book on the weekend. Thank you Chris French, it was quite excellent. The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies.

So it meant that I had to go searching for some more reading material. Thankfully we have "the bookstore". At both main branches there are these bookcases full of random books that you can just take. They've all been left by previous teachers and anyone can take something (and keep it if they want to ship it back home, which I just may do with a Japanese cookbook) or leave something. It's quite fabulous. So I found this great little pocket of books last night that I decided that I couldn't live without. So, for the romantic at heart, I have just begun Anna Karenina by Tolstoy. And, for the cheerful dreamer in me, for when I'm done Anna, I also picked up War and Peace and Bleak House by Dickens. It may surprise my family that I have not yet read Bleak House as it's a Dickens novel and I absolutely devour all Dickens. There are still a few of his works out there that I have not read yet, not many, but they exist. When I first grabbed them, and they barely all fit in my bag, I thought sarcastically to myself, 'well, that should do me for the week', tee hee. So I started Anna today. I'm not too far off on the week thing. I got a little carried away. I finished about just under a seventh of the book today. Look out Dickens, here I come.