Friday, June 24, 2005

June 24, 2005

Seen as the mast-head quote on a blog I like to lurk on...

"Insipid people rarely create questions. So don't giggle -- laugh with the freedom of the redeemed. Do something inappropriate! Offend someone! Bless someone! Go to Jesus and let his broken heart for the poor and the lost break your heart! Quit trying to be so good! If you were that good, he wouldn't have sent his Son, he would have sent a book. God is quite fond of you! He is creating the image of his Son in you. You are holy because he made you holy by setting you apart for himself. Shout! Dance! Cuss and spit, if you must. Well, uh maybe not that...I got a little carried away there, but don't just stand there looking afraid, guilty, proper and bland. Create some questions in the minds of pagans and -- you can hang your hat on this -- the questions will come because, if you stay close to him, he will make you different and alive, free and faithful and joyous and improper, and he, himself, will be the answer to their questions."
-Steve Brown

I'm not back, I just felt like sharing for a moment.
I haven't been posting much for the last two weeks. I have been working and living and "being" here.

Some things that have made me happy lately: singing kareoke with good people, bowling with a whole tonne of people, reading 2 Corinthians 4:10-20 (thanks Heids), dancing till dawn...or well past dawn, having two of my teenage students become fans of Brandon Heath's music, riding Drlfan home slowly on very warm summer evenings, hearing of several good friends who are all in deep smitteness being all together like and happy, sitting in a park, finding a clothing store close to my house that has some "normal" sizes, being told by an adult student that my model sentence "it sounds like poem"...the sentence..."I am sitting in a pool of my own sweat".

Things that have made me sad lately: being away from Ryan & Mum & Dad & Nenny, not being able to find a new supplier of peanut butter, hearing several news stories in the last few days of teenagers and young 20 somethings murdering parents and complete strangers for no apparently valid reason, finding out that some of my favourite students have had to drop my classes due to conflicts in schedules, watching 2 fabulous high school boys be over-run with responsibilities and not be able to be kids one last time before hitting "adult-hood".