Saturday, April 9, 2005

April 9, 2005

I thought Saturdays were going to be my BAD days. But they've turned out alright, especially considering that I have 6 classes. The kids are great on this day. They take a whole lot of patience, but I’m just not willing to give up on them. Some of them I may have to just push through because they just aren’t going to get it. But some I think I really teach, at least help them a bit with their reading. I wish I knew how to teach reading a more effective way than phonics. Giving letters names and then they have sounds that are different all over the place, is just evil. I just don’t know anything else other than Sesame Street. I’ve gained a private class too, she’s a returnee but I don’t think it’s a proper returnee class. She doesn’t have a text or anything, she’s about eight and very verbal. Her little sister is in the playgroup before her class and she’s the one who’s really bright for her age. I still don’t believe she’s four. And the other classes are Primary kids so it’s pretty much just teaching them to read with reading games, playing a vocab game and then doing 2 pages in the text...class finished. It’s pretty straight forward. I have one Kindie class and the parents don’t come in for it. It makes it sooo much easier. I also have a Kindie class where the mum has to come in cause he freaks out. Yui’s the one last week who wouldn’t get out from under the table. We weren’t under the table once this week. But he was looking under it a lot. He’s a fun kid and he laughs hysterically when I even come close to poking him or tickling him. So I would say that it was a good day. The key to feeling good by the end of it has been that I have to stay for another half hour after everything is done cause my hours are until, well, 8:00 but if nothing has come in then I get to leave at 7:00. It means that I have been able to get 4 out of my 6 classes for next week planned. I keep thinking I need to do that more often because then I’m in the groove, but I’m usually just wanting to flee once the classes are done. But it’s not nearly as bad as coming in early and forgetting what kids I’m teaching and what they needed help with, so I think I just need to be more disciplined with myself.

I was on my home tonight, riding my pretty red bike, wanting so badly to get home, when I passed by the park and I saw the most enchanting spectacle I have seen since arriving. I saw a faerie picnic under the canopy of the pale pink cherry blossoms. It was delightful. It felt light and enchanting and fascinating and intriguing. Who were all these little creatures sitting in the dark with their twinkling little lights under the beautiful shelter of the blankets of cherry blossoms that have come to full bloom in the last 2 days? It felt magical. Like I had been transported into something of a faerie tale, something very familiar and light, like I had danced it in a dream sometime as the Faerie Princess. I put my bike away softly and quietly and found a seat just out of the way and in the dark so as not to disturb the scene. I felt like tiptoeing, afraid that they would discover that they were being watched and would instantly fly away. There were large blankets spread out where whole families sat together and laughed in their faerie language which was captivating and light on the ears as no single words or single voices could be made out. It was a low quiet buzz that added to the allure of the scene. It was so dark that much of what was going on was just barely lit by the tiny lanterns that were placed about. I could tell there were a more than just a few faeries because I could hear their faerie song, but I couldn’t see where the voices were coming from.

Positively enchanting.


Under the soft pink canopy

The canopy covers
The canopy shelters
The floating canopy brings together
It falls with a gentleness on us all
Under the soft pink canopy
Flickering lights
Laughter
Voices whose owners are unseen
A faerie gathering in the moonlight
Joy is found
Soft whisper of fragrance
Slow walking
Small clusters of the faeries sit together like families
Distant low bells
Distant low voices
All given as praise to our Life
Shh, the faeries are having a magical picnic