Wednesday, April 6, 2005

April 6, 2005

I had a great adult class tonight. I also had an aweful Junior High class. There were so tired and they didn’t want to be there and one boy had total ‘tude that made me want to not be nice to him. So I was REALLY nice to him. It kinda worked, but not really.

The adult class had some observers so it was a little difficult. The one man is really serious about learning English, so I don’t know if me having fun was good for him. If he joins my class then I’m really going to need to do some really serious stuff, and then have some fun. The rest of them also seem serious about learning, I mean they are paying good money for these classes, but they also want the learning to be fun. One of the ladies, who for the life of me I can’t remember her name, is one of our Japanese receptionists. She’s great fun. Taeko, her name is Taeko. I hope that I can teach them all some good stuff so they feel really good about coming and accomplishing things, and I hope to be able to go out for a drink with them afterwards as well. They’ve already suggested it! I look forward to it.

My one big excitement of the day, other than the good adult class, and I had a Kindies class that I actually really enjoyed, will miracles never cease, is that I bought a bike. Okay so I probably paid a little too much for it, but it’s really nice and it came with a basket and a bell and a lock and a rear carrier thing, like a rat-trap with out the sproing-ey part to it. To use it I’d have to find some lashing or bungees. It’s red and pretty and shiny and I can go FAST. It only has one gear which is a bummer on some of the hills around here, but from here to work is all that I truly care about and there’s nothing between those two points that are the least bit difficult on the one gear that I have. I feel like my world just grew ten fold. I could conceivably bike to another school...if I had lots of time and really good directions with possible alternate routes for when I get lost. I consider myself really good with directions because I always find myself, but I don’t think that I’m good with directions, I’m just really good and getting unlost. I’m always getting lost! I’m always turned around, but I find myself pretty quick.

The wind here still surprises me. Every night I go to bed listening to the wind and thinking to myself ‘I wonder if I’m going to end up in Oz’. It can be terribly violent and it shakes the whole house on a regular basis. I’m sure I’ll get used to it eventually, but I’m still used to Mann Ave and Shawnigan where at either place, if the building creaks because of the wind then you’ve got some serious trouble coming your way. Especially at Shawnigan. Fill the bathtub.