Sunday, August 28, 2005

August 28, 2005

I slept until 2 this afternoon. I was up late talking with Mum and I thought I would just not set my alarm to allow myself to get the rest I need. It meant that I got up, much to my surprise, at 2 in the afternoon and that left me 2 hours to clean up, send some stuff to download and get dressed to leave by 4. I met up with a friend at Mister Donut in Katsu. There was a Samba Festival there. Or supposedly. There weren't any actual samba dancers, but we did find Coronas and then we saw some Flamenco dancers. It was interesting. It's little old Japanese ladies dressed up in Flamenco. Actually there was one or two younger ones and one middle aged lady who could ACTUALLY move their hips...it was a miracle. I'm quite convinced that the Japanese are unable to move their hips and do another action, or think, or talk at the same time.

We then left the festivities, as half-ass as they were, to head up two stations to Yukari, which is the place where I lived during that first week here. Many people live there their first week. I'm rather fond of the area. Anyway, it has this HUGE shopping complex that's like 7 floors. One whole floor is the Entertainment floor with a bunch of theatres and some game centre. We grabbed some popcorn and headed in for Star Wars. I felt a great sense of closure upon leaving the theatre. I felt like an area had passed, my childhood has now ended and I must continue on through life without any more new adventures to share in the world of the Skywalkers. It certainly wasn't as awful as I was originally anticipating. It was rather entertaining and there were only a very few moments where I had to roll my eyes. I do have to give props to the new CGI developments. I hate CGI, when I can notice it. I particularly hate it when it has to do with real characters. I liked Yoda as a muppet. Maybe it's just me being sentimental but it just fits. The Phantom Menace (I) and the Clones (II) had Yoda as complete CGI and you could just feel that the other characters and he didn't interact on the same plane. They most definitely existed on two different planes of existence, one being real, the other CGI. Sith (III) did come across as much more seamless between the two planes. I could go on for hours about discrepancies and inconsistent writing, but I won't. I will conclude by saying, it was a very enjoyable evening with good company and the movie was highly entertaining.