Wednesday, March 30, 2005

March 30, 2005

We started doing some lesson plans today. Another teacher, invited me out for coffee tonight after work. The two Coloradiutians joined us too. It was great to get together with some of the folks and just shoot the breeze and chill. We went for Mister Donut. They have doughnuts made with rice and tofu. God bless Japanese doughnut shops!! And half way through our time there, the background music was Pilate! Pilate. Most Canadians don’t even know who they are, and here they are getting airplay in a doughnut shop in Japan. WHAT!! So cool. Pilate is a band by the way, for anyone who isn't from Victoria and is not between the ages of 18 and 30-ish. Anyway, the other teachers are all a total blast. I also got to meet a teacher from Capitol Hill in Seattle. We had a great time introducing ourselves. I think she’s going to be a blast.

I have one more day before I’m in the classroom all by myself. CRAZY! I don’t know what to expect so I’m often at a loss of where to start. I have one class that first day that is brand new, new students, new class, new teacher, new book. I get to start it all off. And in a few years some new teacher will be coming in and looking at my name at the top of that list as the one who started the madness. 4 year old boys. It’s going to be fun!! I’m sort of afraid of it, but not the way my boss thinks I am. I try and give her a little feed back and she thinks that I don’t want a class like that...4 year old boys...totally my favourite! That was about David’s age when I first met him, that was about how old Tay was when I stopped seeing the Baines so often. It’s all about pet slugs called Hatty Hat Hat and running through the house shaking your head. Now, how to teach them how to count. That shall be fun. I don’t want to over think Friday’s classes because I have to keep going and teach Saturday too, so I need to get done with Friday so that I can move onto Saturday’s planning, and Monday’s planning for that matter, quickly. Otherwise I’m going to get bogged right down and way behind to begin with.

I feel like once I get a phone and some internet hook up, I will be in a much better state. That and into a bit of a schedule. I found a new grocery store to go to on the way home, instead of the giant new 24 hour one. It’s smaller and dirtier but it has tonnes of frozen dinner goodies that look pretty cheap, caramel corn, cheap boxed cereal, cheap wine and best of all TORTILLA CHIPS!!! It’s the first place I’ve seen them here and they aren’t a small fortune! Like 350 Yen or so for a big bag, which is like three and a half bucks. Awesome find. So I bought some soymilk, I think it’s soymilk anyway, some honey corn pops things, and some caramel corn. The caramel corn is made in Illinois. How fabulous.

Take my time, on this earth
Let it glorify all that You are worth
Cause I am nothing, I am nothing without You
I'm listening to Bebo Norman right now.